- Our tours operate all year round and can be scheduled at any time convenient for you (except Tuesday)
Guided Tours Athens, Benaki and Cycladic Museum...
5 - Hours: Embark on a captivating 6-hour guided walking tour in Athens, immersing yourself in the vibrant world of Greek art and culture. Your journey begins at Syntagma Square, where you'll meet your knowledgeable guide.
Your first destination is the renowned Benaki Museum, a treasure trove of Greek art that spans centuries. Explore the museum's vast collection, which includes ancient artifacts, Byzantine icons, and a diverse array of Greek folk art and traditional costumes. Marvel at the intricate details of ancient Greek pottery, and be captivated by the rich symbolism and religious significance of Byzantine icons.
Continuing on your walking tour, you'll be enchanted by the Cycladic Museum, dedicated to the enigmatic Cycladic civilization. Admire the iconic Cycladic figurines, famous for their minimalist elegance and abstract forms. These ancient sculptures offer a glimpse into the artistic and cultural expressions of the Cycladic people. Delve into thematic exhibits that provide insights into their daily life, rituals, and cultural practices. Engage with contemporary art inspired by Cycladic influences, witnessing a fascinating dialogue between the past and present.
During your 5-hour guided walking tour in Athens, you'll have the opportunity to visit the Benaki Museum and the Cycladic Museum, two prominent cultural institutions that offer unique insights into Greek art and history. Here's what you can expect during your visit:
Benaki Museum: The Benaki Museum is located in the heart of Athens and is renowned for its comprehensive collection of Greek art and artifacts. It is housed in a neoclassical building that was once the residence of the Benaki family, a prominent Greek family of art collectors.
- a. Ground Floor: Upon entering the museum, you'll find the ground floor dedicated to ancient Greek art. Here, you can explore exhibits featuring pottery, sculptures, and other artifacts from the Cycladic, Minoan, and Mycenaean civilizations. These artifacts provide insights into the artistic and cultural achievements of these ancient Greek civilizations.
- b. First Floor: Moving up to the first floor, you'll encounter Byzantine and post-Byzantine art. Marvel at the intricate religious icons, exquisite frescoes, and delicate textiles that reflect the rich artistic heritage of the Byzantine Empire. The collections here span from the early Christian period to the Ottoman era.
- c. Second Floor: The second floor focuses on Greek folk art and traditional costumes, offering a glimpse into the everyday life and cultural traditions of the Greek people. Explore the colorful regional costumes, intricately woven textiles, and ornate household objects that highlight the diversity and craftsmanship of Greek folk art.
- d. Third Floor: The third floor is dedicated to modern Greek art from the 19th and 20th centuries. Here, you'll find a wide range of paintings, sculptures, and mixed media works by renowned Greek artists. This section of the museum provides an opportunity to trace the evolution of Greek art in the modern era
Cycladic Museum: After your exploration of the Benaki Museum, your tour continues at the nearby Cycladic Museum. This museum is solely dedicated to the art and culture of the Cycladic civilization, which thrived in the Aegean region during the Early Bronze Age (3,200-2,000 BC).
- a. Collection Highlights: The Cycladic Museum houses a remarkable collection of Cycladic art, renowned for its minimalist and abstract style. You'll encounter stunning marble figurines, primarily representing human figures in various poses. These figurines are known for their elegant simplicity and timeless beauty, providing a unique glimpse into the artistic achievements of this ancient civilization.
- b. Thematic Exhibits: In addition to the figurines, the museum also features thematic exhibits that explore various aspects of Cycladic culture, including pottery, tools, and jewelry. These exhibits shed light on the daily life, rituals, and burial practices of the Cycladic people, offering a comprehensive understanding of this fascinating civilization.
- c. Temporary Exhibitions: The Cycladic Museum frequently hosts temporary exhibitions that showcase contemporary art inspired by or in dialogue with Cycladic art. These exhibitions provide a modern perspective on the ancient artistic tradition, creating an engaging juxtaposition of the old and the new.
- Impressive collection of ancient Greek pottery, showcasing the craftsmanship and artistic expressions of different periods.
- Exquisite Byzantine icons with intricate details and religious significance.
- Rare textiles and costumes representing various regions of Greece, providing insights into traditional craftsmanship and cultural diversity.
- Notable works by prominent Greek artists from the 19th and 20th centuries, offering a glimpse into the country's modern art scene.
- The Cycladic figurines, featuring elegant and abstract representations of human figures, considered masterpieces of Cycladic art.
- Fascinating exhibits exploring the daily life, rituals, and burial practices of the Cycladic civilization, providing a comprehensive understanding of their culture.
- Engaging temporary exhibitions that bridge the gap between ancient and contemporary art, offering a fresh perspective on Cycladic influences in modern works.
- Meet the guide at Syntagma Square
- Licensed tour guide
- Mineral water
- All taxes
- Museum Benaki12€ /pp & 6€ Cycladic Museum
- Gratuities (optional)
- All of our drivers are professional and English-speaking with extensive experience and knowledge of the sites you will be visiting. While they can provide general information about each site, they are not official guides. Our drivers will take you on routes that bypass tourist crowds and recommend local, traditional restaurants where you can experience Mediterranean cuisine.
- We highly recommend booking a local guide during your trip to gain in-depth information about each site.
- We work in partnership with the Luxury Car Rental Company, www.premiumrentacar.gr to provide a wide selection of brand new cars, including:
- From 1 to 4 persons, we provide you Mercedes E class or MPV, Citroen Picasso or similar
- From 5 to 8 persons, we provide you Mini Van type Mercedes Vito or similar
- From 9 to 17 persons, we provide you Minibus Mercedes Sprinter 18 seats
- Our driver will meet you at your hotel in Athens, Airbnb, or a specific address and provide you with a folder containing necessary travel documents (air tickets, ferry tickets if relevant, and other useful information).
- Once your booking is finalized, we will send you a confirmation form with pick-up time and other details of the trip.
- One day prior to the trip, we will send you the driver's details.
- If you arrive at Athens airport or Piraeus, our representative will be waiting for you with a sign bearing your name, assist you with your baggage, and accompany you to your car. We also provide mineral water and tissues.
- Our tours are Private and customized for you, with the flexibility to add or remove anything from our proposed program. We can accommodate groups from 1 person to 36 or more.
- To make the most of your stay in Greece, we recommend taking out an insurance policy to cover unexpected events during your trip. We have partnered with INTERAMERICAN, . INTERAMERICAN, the largest private insurance company in Greece
- We can arrange your accommodation a day before and after your tour, as well as private arrival and departure transfers from/to Athens airport.
- We also offer luggage storage at our store for a fee of 3€ per day per luggage.
- The entrance fee for the Archaeological Museum 12 euros per person.
- The entrance fee for the National Gallery is 10 euros per person.
- To confirm a booking, a 30% payment in advance is required, which is fully refundable in case of written cancellation received at least 7 days prior to the arrival date.
- For any cancellation or change within 6 days prior to the first day of arrival and/or no-shows, full cancellation fees will apply, which will be the total cost of the program.
- A written notification of any cancellation or change is necessary and should be sent to PRIVATE TOURS Greece.