All year, any time that you want.
17 Day Tour at Southern & Northern Greece...
If you are planning on 17-day self-drive holidays in Greece, this classical road trip itinerary at Southern and Northern Greece is the best choice. You will see some attractions which you would not otherwise & you have enjoyed the natural landscapes and magnificent historical scenery around Greece.
You will got to know many things from the locals and also for the culture and their lifestyle as we defined the timeline of our journey. With this self-drive vacation package, you will travel all over Greece and explore wild natural beauty, archaeological sites, ancient ruins, traditional villages, Caves, Monasteries, popular tourist destinations, religious places of interest.
Great driving experience in Sparta, in Mystras and in the extraordinary town of Monemvassia and Mani, the famous must-see sites of Ancient Olympia, Pylos, Delphi and Meteora, Thessaloniki, the archaeological park of Dion and Vergina, the cities of Pella, Veroia, Naousa & Edessa with the mesmerizing waterfalls! Continue your self-guided tour in Athens to visit Acropolis & the temple of Poseidon in Sounio do not miss the chance to taste the famous "Souvlaki" and " loukoumades" at the traditional area of Plaka.
DAY: 1 ARRIVAL DAY:
- Our representative driver will be waiting for you with a sign with your name written on it, will help you with your luggage transfer you at your hotel. Overnight in Athens
DAY 2: ATHENS – ANCIENT CORINTH - LOUTRAKI - NAUPLIO:
- Our representative meet you at your hotel in the morning at about 08.30 to delivery the car offering you mineral water & tissues. Afterwards, he will provide you all the necessary documents for your self-drive road trip in Greece. Start your self-drive tour with a visit in Ancient Corinth combine tour at the Temple of Heraion, the Holy Monastery of Agios Patapios, swimming at the lagoon of Corinthian gulf called "Lake Vouliagmenis" located in Loutraki is a great opportunity enjoy the marvelous natural scenic of Greece & Archaeological sites.Overnight in Nafplio
DAY 3: NAFPLIO - MYCENAE - EPIDAURUS - DIMITSANA VILLAGE:
- After your breakfast to explore at the one of the most beautiful towns of Greece and the first capital city at the Modern Greek history, Nafplio! You can walk next to the coast, or you can visit the Castle of the Town, with the 999 steps (!) and the amazing view, or take a taxi boat to visit the small island of Bourtzi, in the middle of the city’s harbor, the fort on the sea and Nauplio’s trademark! Next stop will be at Ancient Mycenae with the famous ‘’Gate of Lions’’ and ‘’Atreus King Tomb’’ & the Ancient Theatre of Epidaurus of the 15.000 spectators. The day of this self-drive road trip ends at the beautiful and historical Village of Dimitsana that is located on two facing hills "Agia Paraskevi & "Castro" above the River Lousios. After your check in you can have an excellence walking tour in the narrow streets of Dimitsana, you will travel in its historical admiring the beautiful architecture and historical sightseeing. Visit the library and folk museum which is housed in the municipal school building and opposite the church of "Agia Kyriaki". There you see the statue of Patriarch of Constantinople Grigorios V. Do not forget to visit the open air water-power museum. Overnight in Dimitsana
DAY 4: DIMITSANA - LOUSIOS GOGRE & MONASTERIES OF PRODROMOS & PHILOSOPHOU – MONEMVASIA:
- After your breakfast visit the Monastery of Agios Ioannis Prodromos that is built in 19th century. About after 20 -30 minutes walking you will reach the Monastery and admire the wonderful view to Lousios River under your feet! The monks will help you and show you how to continue walking in the Lousios Gorge and visit the next monastery of Philosophes, one of the oldest monasteries of Greece that was built on 963the old monastery and on 1691 the new one. Continue your self-drive tour from Dimitsana to reach at Monemvasia. Check in and free time for yourselves. Wander around the castle city the Upper and the Lower Town, Afterwards, we visit the second famous Tower Town of Peloponnese, Monemvasiá,a mystical stone-built settlement, nestled at the edge of a big rock by the sea, that was founded by the Byzantines in the sixth century. Peer into the history of the fortress –the so-called “Gibraltar of the East”. Taste culinary delights at a fine restaurant on the roof of a tower house. Overnight in Monemvasia
DAY 5: MONEMVASIA - MYSTRAS - SPARTA - SPARTA:
- After your breakfast leave from Monemvasia to have our first visit at the nearby glory Byzantine town of Mystras. Wander around the castle city the Upper and the Lower Town, and sense through the silence the city's sheer grandeur: the Palace of the Despots (Anaktora), the Houses of Laskaris and Frangopoulos, the beautiful Cathedral of Saint Dimitrios and the impressive Monasteries of Our Lady Pantánassa, and of Οur Lady Perivleptos. We continue to visit the unique Museum of Olive Oil of Sparta, a great Museum showing the unique history of olive production in Greece. Overnight in Sparta
DAY 6: SPARTA – DIROS CAVE - PYLOS:
- Leave Sparta to reach at Areopolis and Diros, famous for its marvelous subterranean caves as a part of an underground river. About 5,000 meters have been exposed and accessible by small boats and through narrow passageways and one is surrounded by formations of stalagmites and stalactites. Caves have served as places of worship in Paleolithic and Neolithic times and their inhabitant believed that the caves were the entrance to the underworld. Finally we will reach at the city of Pylos. It is worth to visit the great Castle of “Methoni” or the Castle of “Navarino”. Overnight in Pylos
DAY 7: PYLOS - ANCIENT MESSENE - VASSAE - TEMPLE OF EPIKOURIOS APOLLON -OLYMPIA:
- Start the day with a visit at the ancient Messene as is a spectacular archaeological site, a UNESCO monument which combines diverse beauties as it is built at the one side at the Messenian valley. The city was founded on the 4th century B.C. by Epaminondas. We leave from ancient Messene to reach at Vassae (at about 15.30) in ancient Figaleia, at an elevation of 1.130 meters, stands the eternally proud temple of Apollo Epikurios. The inspiration behind its construction and the architect is considered to be the great Ictinus. This universal architectural gem was the first of the great monuments of Greece to be recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site in 1986. The temple was built at the height of the Greek civilization in the second half of the 5th century BC (420-400 BC). We leave from Vassae to reach at Ancient Olympia. Check in at your hotel and free time for yourself. Overnight in Olympia
DAY 8: ANCIENT OLYMPIA – IOANNINA:
- Self-guided tour at the archaeological site of Ancient Olympia, the place that the first Olympic Games took place in 776 B.C., which lies in the lush valley formed by the Alfios River. There is the temple of Zeusone of the most celebrated sanctuary of ancient Greece. Dedicated to Zeus which in antiquity was housing one of the 7 wonders of the Ancient world, the Treasury houses, the Gymnasium and the Palestra where they used to exercise for a month prior to the Games. Finally you come to the stadium, where the marble starting blocks are still in position. We will depart from Olympia towards Ioannina, the capital of Epirus. Ioannina was always multicultural, dominated mainly by Christian, Islamic and Jewish influences. This coexistence of cultural influences is clearly evident in the historic city Centre. The Stoa Louli arcade is one of the locations where the three communities worked together and prospered. Wonderful buildings like the house Matei Hussein, the Ottoman Mosque of Veli Pasha, Ioannina castle with its four sections, Lake Pamvotida and its Small Island or Perama, one of the most beautiful caves in Europe, are some of Ioannina's unique attractions. You must not forget to sample the traditional spices and herbs harvested from the mountains of Epirus, frog's legs, a special delicacy or the famous desserts of 'sker bourek' or 'sugar pie', and the exceptionally delicious baklava or other syrup pastries. Overnight in Ioannina
DAY 9: IOANNINA – METSOVO - VEROIA – VERGINA- THESSALONIKI:
- Leave Ioannina to have our first stop at the traditional Village of Metsovo, one of the most well-known traditional villages located on the mountains of the largest mountain line of Greece Pindos at an altitude of 1.160m. It is worth to walk at the narrow streets and speak with the locals and to buy hand-made products. We have our next stop at Vergina (ancient Aigai), to live the experience of a visit to the unique Museum, created in the Great Tumulus covering the royal tombs of Macedonia. See the astonishing findings from the tomb of King Phillip II, Alexander's father, and feel the thrill of the greatest discovery of the 20th century. In only a few miles away is Veria (Biblical Beroea) to visit Saint Paul's Bema, and then stroll through the old Jewish neighborhood and the colourful market area. A walk in a city where the past is present and around. After that you will reach at Thessaloniki. Overnight in Thessaloniki
DAY 10: THESSALONIKI – PELLA- EDESSA – NAOUSA- THESSALONIKI:
- After your breakfast go ahead to visit City of Pella, the capital of Alexander the Great. See the exquisite floor mosaics of the 4th century B.C. villas, in situ as well as in the new Museum. First stop at picturesque Edessa where we see the town's famous landmark, the Waterfalls. Then proceed to Naoussa, to a site of exceptional beauty and importance: Aristotle's School, the picturesque site where the great philosopher taught ‘the doctrines of morals and politics' to Alexander the Great and the Macedonian youth. Overnight in Thessaloniki
DAY 11: CITY TOUR THESSALONIKI – DION - METEORA:
- Depart from Thessaloniki to visit the Archaeological Park of Dion (sacred city of the Macedonians, at the foot of mountain Olympus) Continue to reach at Meteora so that to start the tour at the Monasteries. We will have our first stop at The Holy Monastery of Great Meteoro which is the biggest and oldest one of all. It was called the monastery that was "suspended in the air" (Meteoro), because of the formation of the gigantic rock on top of which it was built. Our second visit is to the great monastery of St. Stephan. The Monastery of St. Stephan, which is a small church built in the 16th century and decorated in 1545. This monastery rests on the plain rather than on a cliff. At the end of this amazing tour we will return to Meteora. Overnight in Meteora
DAY 12: METEORA – LAKE PLASTIRA - DELPHI:
- Depart from Meteora and we reach at Lake Plastira which is located in Karditsa regional unit, near the city of Karditsa. Plastira Lake is an artificial lake in perfect harmony with nature, embraced by picturesque villages, fir forests and the imposing Agrafa mountain range. You can take breathtaking pictures overlooking the lake, taste authentic local flavors and wines, and explore old monastery of Panagia Pelekiti, which is one of the most impressive attractions in the area. It has two churches, Analipseos and Panagias, both built in 1640. After all we depart from Lake Plasrtira to reach at Delphi. Overnight in Delphi
DAY 13: DELPHI – ATHENS:
- We will visit Oracle, the Stadium, the Ancient Theatre where could seat more than 5000 spectators and of course the Museum of Delphi, where you can admire the ‘’Charioteer’’, one of the best bronze statues ever! Delphi is perhaps best known for the oracle at the sanctuary that was dedicated to Apollo during the classical period. Afterwards, we can visit and have coffee or lunch, at the most famous winter resort in Greece, Arachova (a traditional and at the same time modern small city in an altitude of 1000 meters)! Here you can taste the traditional cheese, Arachova’s formaela and other hand-made local products. Along the way, you will see the plain of Boeotia, an agricultural center and you will also pass by the city of Thebes, the birthplace of King Oedipus in order to reach The Archaeological Museum of Thebes www.mthv.gr/en one of the most important museums of Greece since some of its collections are rare or unique. The exhibits originate from excavations all around Boeotia and cover a long chronological period spanning from the Palaeolithic to the Post Byzantine periods. Also, you will walk around to see the Mycenae Palace and the Mycenaean Tombs. We will reach in Athens for Overnight
DAY 14: ATHENS SIGHTSEEING TOUR & TOUR OF CAPE SOUNION:
- Self-guided tour in Athens Sightseeing & Cape Sounio Tour. You will visit Panathinaiko Stadium where the first Olympic Games took place in 1896. It is the only stadium built out of white marble. Proceed, we will visit Zappeion and Temple of Olympian Zeus. You will then admire the Athens Trilogy which includes the University of Athens, the Academy of Athens, and the National Library. Continue passing by National Garden, Hadrian's Arc, St. Paul's Church, Parliament, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Schliemann's House (Numismatic Museum), Catholic Cathedral, Old Parliament, Constitution Square, Russian Orthodox Church, and finally we will visit ACROPOLIS & ACROPOLIS museum. You will follow the Mediterranean coastline known as "Athenian Riviera" (if you wish we will have a stop for panoramic photos) in order to reach at the second most popular site of the Greek capital "Cape Sounio" and Temple of God Poseidon! Overnight in Athens
DAY 15: DAY CRUISE TO THE SARONIC ISLANDS HYDRA-POROS-AEGINA:
- Pick you up from hotel to transfer you to Piraeus Port to take the boat. First stop, the cosmopolitan Hydra, with its cobblestone alleys, its unspoilt –over the centuries- unique architectural beauty, as well as the traditional means of transportation that you can find on the island, its donkeys, will make the visitors fall in love with it at first sight. The vessel remains at the port of Hydra for 1 hour and 55 minutes, giving enough time to the passengers to discover some of the most wonderful parts of the island, the beautiful forts and the impressive mansions, enjoying a walk along the picturesque alleys, or even discover the historic landmarks. Next stop, is the port of Poros. A leafy island, with an insuperable natural beauty and thousands of pine trees, expanding from the steep beaches to the sandy beaches, making Poros the island of romance and calmness. We stay at Poros for 50 minutes. Last stop, is the historical Aegina. The biggest island of the Saronic Gulf, which took its name by the beautiful nymph that was kidnapped by Zeus. Aegina is well known across the world for the delicious pistachios, the beautiful, “virgin” beaches and the Temple of Afaia. We stay at the port of Aegina for 2 hours. There is enough time to enjoy your coffee and the pistachio sweets at the beautiful port, or to participate in the historical tour of the island and discover its hidden treasures. At the end of the cruise transfer you back to your hotel. Overnight in Athens
DAY 16: VISIT AT ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM OF ATHENS :
- Today we suggest you an excellent self-guided tour to the National Archaeological Museum in Athens, is the largest museum in Greece and one of the world's great museums. Although its original purpose was to secure all the finds from the nineteenth century excavations in and around Athens, it gradually became the central National Archaeological Museum and was enriched with finds from all over Greece. Its abundant collections, with more than 20,000 exhibits, provide a panorama of Greek civilization from the beginnings of Prehistory to Late Antiquity. Overnight in Athens
DAY 17: DEPARTURE DAY:
- Our wonderful self-driving tours end at Athens airport where our representative will collect the vehicle from your most convenient time 9according to your flight details)
***TRAVEL INSURANCE: We would also like to draw your attention to the importance of taking out an insurance policy in the event of an unexpected happening that may cancel or interrupt your trip.
Here is the link to see what the travel insurance covers: Click Here for Travel Insurance
- Acropolis & Acropolis Museum
- Cape Sounio & temple of Poseidon
- Delphi & Museum of Delphi
- City of Thessaloniki
- Edessa, Naousa Aristotle's School
- Veroia, Vergina, Pella, Dion
- Monasteries of Meteora
- Lakes Of Plastira
- City of Ioannina & Island of "Ali Pascha"
- Ancient Corith & Canal of Corinth
- Nauplio, Bourtzi, Castle of Palamidi
- Dimitsana, Lousios Gogre
- Mycenae, Epidaurus
- Mystras, Sparta, Monemvasia
- Diros Caves, Gerolimenas, Mani
- Ancient Olympia
- Self-Drive Planned Itinerary
- 16 Night's Hotel Accommodation
- Daily breakfast at your hotel
- 12 day Car Rental with free Kilometers
- Day cruise to Saronic Islands with lunch
- Arrival & Departure transfers from/to Athens airport
- Car Insurance with CDW & Theft Waiver
- 24H Call support - 24H Road Assistance
- Welcome bag upon our meeting
- Mineral water & Tissues upon your arrival
- All Taxes
- Meals and personal expenses
- Fuel, Tolls
- Private Driver (available with extra cost)
- Hotel City tax
At the bottom of the reservation form you will see 3 options.
- a/ Book the tour online via your credit card
- b/ Require more information
- c/ Pay now only 30% as payment in advance in order your tour to be confirmed
- Pay close attention to speed limits: Besides the road condition you must pay attention to speed limits and signs. As there are a lot of traffic cameras in the roads you should be careful not to exceed the speed limit but also the marking, which may be different from what you are used to. Of course, before the fines, we must first think about our safety!
- Two drivers are better than one: Driving for a long time is quite tiring, so make sure everyone changes to the role of driver. Divide the trip into shifts and "share" the steering wheel for a more comfortable and safe journey.
- Prepare your music playlist: Road trips are better with music! Prepare a road trip playlist in advance and choose your lovely music that will satisfy the whole company.
- Road maps may come in handy: Cell phones and GPS may run out of battery at some point or be out of reception. Make sure that you have a power cable so you can charge from the vehicle (or a power bank). In the worst case scenario a traditional road map will be very useful to you in case everything else fails.
- Our experienced team can arrange for you to meet local tour guides in each place in order to make your road trip more exciting and full of information
- We are the owner of car rental company www.premiumrentacar.gr with a wide range of fleet options such as Minivans, SUVs & Sedans; that's why we are as competitive as possible.
- From 1 to 4 persons we suggest sedan cars, type VW Passat, Mercedes E class or MPV 7 seats or similar
- From 5 to 9 persons we suggest a Minivan type Mercedes Vito, fully air-conditioned or similar
- If you are scheduled to arrive at Athens airport we can provide you a transfer from Athens Airport to your Hotel or Piraeus port and the next day we will deliver the car at your most convenient place to start the road trip.
- For travelers which are not EU residents is required international driving license ID
- Minimum age 25
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) / Security deposit - Credit card is required for CDW
Our driver will deliver your rental car at your hotel in Athens or Air B&B address. If you arrive at Athens airport or Piraeus, our representative driver will be waiting for you with a sign with your name written on it, will help you with your luggage and escort you at your car, offering you mineral water & tissues. Afterwards, he will provide you all the necessary documents for your self-drive road trip in Greece.
- We provide you 4* star hotels and 3* stars hotels. You can ask for an upgrade in 5* stars hotels
- After your request received, we will send you our suggested hotels. Note that we will be will able to confirm you the hotels on the time that you will proceed with the booking.
- You can extend your self-drive holidays and our staff can arrange your accommodation and extension of your car rental one day prior to the start of your self-drive tour or after the completion of your tour.
Our self-drive tours are absolutely customizable. You can add or remove everything from our proposed program in order your self-drive tour to be modified and adjusted by & to you.
In order to take full advantage of your stay in Greece, we would also like to draw your attention to the importance of taking out an insurance policy in the event of an unexpected happening during your trip. To this effect, we have collaborated with INTERAMERICAN, the largest private insurance company in Greece
- 1,5 euros per room per day for 3*star hotels - Paid at the hotel
- 3 euros per room per day for 4*star hotels - Paid at the hotel
- 5 euros per room per day for 5*star hotels - Paid at the hotel.
- Winter: November 1 to March 31 - 08.30 until 15.00
- Summer: April 1 to October 31 - 08.00 until 19.30
- 10 euro / person for Acropolis Museum
- 20 euro / person for Acropolis
- 8 euro / person Ancient Corinth & Museum
- 12 euro / person for Ancient Epidaurus
- 12 euro / person for Mycenae & Treasury of Arteus
- 12 euro / person for Ancient Olympia & Museum
- 12 euro / person for Delphi & Museum
- 3 euro / person for each monasteries of Meteora
- 8 euro / person for Vergina
- 8 euro / person for Pella
- 8 euro / person for Dion
- Children under 18 years of age are free of charge
- Students from E.U ( ID is required )
- In order to confirm any booking, 30% payment in advance is required, fully refundable in case of any written cancellation received 40 days prior the arrival date.
- For any cancellation OR change between 39 days to 20 days prior the first day of arrival, cancellation fees equal to 50% of the total cost of program applies.
- For any cancellation OR change within 19 days prior the first day of arrival and/or non shows, full cancellation fees applies – the total cost of the program.
- A written notification of any cancellation or change is necessary to be sent to PRIVATE TOURS Greece.