All year, any time that you want.
6 Day Self-Drive-Road Trip to Ancient Peloponnese...
Book online this 6 Day Self driving Classical Tour Greece to explore Mythical paths, Castles & the hidden beauties of the Peloponnese Peninsula! Visit traditional cities full of history and archaeological sites of great importance with the ease of our car rental! Tour in Argolis, Sparta, Mystras, Monemvasia, Diros Caves, Olympia, Delphi, Meteora.
Tour with your rented car at the byzantine town of Mystras, pay a visit at Sparta, founded in the 9th century, the old town of Monemvassia, a perfectly preserved medieval settlement still inhabited & the Diros Caves. With this self driving vacations package you will visit the most important religious and athletic center in Ancient Olympia. Visit Naupactus, a beautiful seaside small town. Continue your self driving experience with a tour in Delphi and visit the temple sacred to Apollo and the Ancient Oracle. Visit Meteora and admire the creation of God and man and feel like you are standing between Earth and Sky!
Our experienced staff will provide insights for planning an itinerary, road trip routes and tips and many other recommendations for each place. Hire a car and you are ready to explore Greece with our self-drive holiday package. Book this self-drive road trip as it is the safest and most affordable option and get enchanted by beautiful landscapes and feel like you live in another age!
DAY 1: ATHENS - ARGOLIS -SPARTA:
- Early in the morning around 08:30 our office representative will meet you at your hotel to deliver your car so that to depart from Athens and driving along the mainland coast to Peloponnese, you may have your first stop, 1 hour later, at the Canal of Corinth (6 km length and 80m height). Soon you will reach at the Ancient Theatre of Epidaurus, one of the best Ancient Theatres worldwide with amazing acoustic. You will stop for lunch or a coffee break, at one of the most romantic towns of Greece, the seaside town of Nafplio, first capital city of Modern Greece. Then, you will continue your self driving tour to the archaeological site of Mycenae, an ancient town with great power during the ancient years, with the famous ‘’Gate of Lions’’ and the ‘’Atreus King Tomb’’. Your first day will be finished at the famous town of Sparta for overnight.
DAY 2: SPARTA - MYSTRAS - MONEMVASIA – SPARTA:
- During your second day, you will first visit the unique Museum of Olive Oil of Sparta, a great Museum showing the unique history of olive production in Greece. You continue this excellent self driving experience, to the nearby glory Byzantine town of Mystras (a crusader fortress, one of the strongholds of Byzantium, in the middle of the Peloponnese). Wander around the castle city the Upper and the Lower Town, and sense through the silence the city's sheer grandeur: the Palace of the Despots (Anaktora), the Houses of Laskaris and Frangopoulos, the Monasteries of Our Lady Pantánassa, and of Οur Lady Perivleptos. Afterwards, you will visit the second famous Tower Town of Peloponnesse, Monemvassia, a mystical stone-built settlement, nestled at the edge of a big rock by the sea that was founded by the Byzantines in the sixth century. Peer into the history of the fortress –the so-called “Gibraltar of the East”. Wander around its narrow cobbled streets, the Upper and the Lower part of the town, and admire the beautifully restored stone buildings. Taste culinary delights at a fine restaurant on the roof of a tower house. Late in the afternoon you will return in Sparta for overnight.
DAY 3: SPARTA - ANCIENT OLYMPIA:
- After your breakfast, you will take your rented car and leave Sparta and after a short stop at the picturesque small coastal town of Gythio, you arrive at Areopolis and Diros, famous for its marvelous subterranean caves, as a part of an underground river. About 5,000 meters have been exposed and accessible by small boats and through narrow passageways, surrounded by formations of stalagmites and stalactites. Caves have served as places of worship in Paleolithic and Neolithic times and their inhabitant believed that the caves were the entrance to the underworld. You can also visit the local museum and then we continue to some of the most beautiful places of Southern Peloponnese, the coastal villages of Stoupa and Kardamili, for swimming or lunch. You pass by the town of Kalamata and you will finally arrive at Ancient Olympia for overnight.
DAY 4: ANCIENT OLYMPIA - DELPHI:
Start early in the morning your self driving tour by visiting the archaeological site of Ancient Olympia, the place that the first ever Olympic Games took place in 776 B.C. Visit the remains of the gymnasium, the palestra (practice ground for the wrestlers), the VIP hotel, the troughs that held olive-oil balm for the athletes, and plinths for the victors' statues, complete with their footprints, are all still here. The stadium's banks, the surrounding hills and the sky above are exactly as they were. Also, there you will see the temple of Zeus the most celebrated sanctuary of ancient Greece and one of the 7 wonders of the Ancient world. Then you will cross over the amazing bridge of Rio – Antirio, one of the biggest in Europe, to reach at Naupactus. We recommend you having a lunch in this beautiful seaside small town, surrounded by the Venetian Castle, next to the Venetian Port. Afterwards, you will reach at Delphi for Overnight.
DAY 5: DELPHI - METEORA:
- After your breakfast, you will visit the archaeological site of Delphi. You will visit the Ancient Oracle, the Stadium, the Ancient Theatre which can host more than 5000 seated spectators and of course the Museum of Delphi, where you can admire the ‘’Charioteer’’, one of the best bronze statues ever! Delphi is perhaps best known for the oracle at the sanctuary that was dedicated to Apollo during the classical period. Continuing you will depart to continue your self driving holidays and reach the village of Arachova, the most bustling winter destination in Greece, a mountainous village at 1000 meters altitude. Discover the traditional character of the village by taking a coffee or lunch break. Don’t forget to try the famous, traditional cheese, Arachova’s formaela, in various forms. Departing from Arachova and driving through Central Greece, and the city of Trikala, where you can make a quick stop, you will arrive in Kalambaka, a small traditional town that is built at the foot of the majestic grey rocks of God, at the shadow of the great Meteora Monasteries. Kalambaka (Meteora) for overnight.
DAY 6: METEORA - ATHENS:
- You may start at 09.00 in order to visit the monasteries of Meteora, having your first stop at The Holy Monastery of Great Meteoro, the biggest and oldest one of all. It was called the monastery that was "suspended in the air" (meteoro), because of the formation of the gigantic rock on top of which it was built. your second visit may be to the great monastery of St. Stephan. The Monastery of St. Stephan is a small church built in the 16th century and decorated in 1545. This monastery rests on the plain rather than on a cliff. This wonderful tour will be completed at the picturesque village of Kalambaka, where you will have a traditional Greek lunch! Then, you will leave from Meteora with your rented car to return to Athens and complete your self driving tour package, with a short stop at Kamena Vourla at the seaside and Thermopiles where you may admire the statue of Leonidas which was placed there as a memorial of the battle of the 300 Spartans against thousands of Persian soldiers of the Persian Empire. Overnight in Athens. (Next morning our office representative will meet with you at your hotel to pick up the rented car)
***TRAVEL INSURANCE: We would also like to draw your attention to the importance of taking out an insurance policy in the event of an unexpected happening that may cancel or interrupt your trip.
Here is the link to see what the travel insurance covers: Click Here for Travel Insuranc
- Canal of Corinth
- Ancient Theatre of Epidaurus
- Romantic city Nauplio
- Ancient Mycenae
- Town of Sparta
- Tower Town of Mystras
- Tower Town of Monemvasia
- Gythio, Areopolis
- Diros Caves
- Stoupa or Kardamili village
- Ancient Olympia
- City of Naupaktos
- Delphi & Museum
- Village of Arachova
- St. Loukas Monastery
- Monasteries of Meteora
- Sunset Tour to Meteora
- Self-Drive Planned Itinerary
- 6 Night's Hotel Accommodation
- Daily breakfast at your hotel
- 6 Days Car Rental with free Kilometers
- Car Insurance with CDW & Theft Waiver
- 24H Call support - 24H Road Assistance
- Welcome bag upon our meeting
- Mineral water & Tissues upon your arrival
- All Taxes
- Meals and personal expenses
- Private Driver (available with extra cost)
- Fuel, Tolls
- Hotel City tax
- Pay close attention to speed limits: Besides the road condition you must pay attention to speed limits and signs. As there are a lot of traffic cameras in the roads you should be careful not to exceed the speed limit but also the marking, which may be different from what you are used to. Of course, before the fines, we must first think about our safety!
- Two drivers are better than one: Driving for a long time is quite tiring, so make sure everyone changes to the role of driver. Divide the trip into shifts and "share" the steering wheel for a more comfortable and safe journey.
- Prepare your music playlist: Road trips are better with music! Prepare a road trip playlist in advance and choose your lovely music that will satisfy the whole company.
- Road maps may come in handy: Cell phones and GPS may run out of battery at some point or be out of reception. Make sure that you have a power cable so you can charge from the vehicle (or a power bank). In the worst case scenario, a traditional road map will be very useful to you in case everything else fails.
- We suggest you have local tour guides in each area
- Our experienced team can arrange for you to meet local tour guides in each place in order to make your road trip more exciting and full of information
- We are the owner of car rental company www.premiumrentacar.gr with a wide range of fleet options such as Minivans, SUVs & Sedans; that's why we are as competitive as possible.
- From 1 to 5 persons, we suggest sedan cars, type VW Passat, Mercedes E class or MPV 7 seats or similar
- From 6 to 9 persons, we suggest a Minivan type Mercedes Vito, fully air-conditioned or similar
- If you are scheduled to arrive at Athens airport we can provide you a transfer from Athens Airport to your Hotel or Piraeus port and the next day we will deliver the car at your most convenient place to start the road trip.
- For travelers which are not EU residents is required international driving license ID
- Minimum age 25
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) / Security deposit - Credit card is required for CDW
- Our driver will deliver your rental car at your hotel in Athens or Air B&B address. If you arrive at Athens airport or Piraeus, our representative driver will be waiting for you with a sign with your name written on it, will help you with your luggage and escort you at your car, offering you mineral water & tissues.
- Afterwards, he will provide you all the necessary documents for your self-drive road trip in Greece.
- We provide you mixed of 3* & 4* star hotels or boutique hotels, depends the availability.
- After your request received, we will send you our suggested hotels. Note that we will be will able to confirm you the hotels on the time that you will proceed with the booking.
- You can extend your self-drive holidays and our staff can arrange your accommodation and extension of your car rental one day prior to the start of your self-drive tour or after the completion of your tour.
Our self-drive tours are customizable. You can add or remove everything from our proposed program in order your self-drive tour to be modified and adjusted by & to you.
In order to take full advantage of your stay in Greece, we would also like to draw your attention to the importance of taking out an insurance policy in the event of an unexpected happening during your trip. To this effect, we have collaborated with INTERAMERICAN, the largest private insurance company in Greece
- 1,5 euros per room per day for 3*star hotels - Paid at the hotel
- 3 euros per room per day for 4*star hotels - Paid at the hotel
- Winter: November 1 to March 31 - 08.30 until 15.00
- Summer: April 1 to October 31 - 08.00 until 19.30
- 10 euro / person for Acropolis Museum
- 20 euro / person for Acropolis
- 8 euro / person Ancient Corinth & Museum
- 12 euro / person for Ancient Epidaurus
- 12 euro / person for Mycenae & Treasury of Atreus
- 12 euro / person for Ancient Olympia & Museum
- 12 euro / person for Delphi & Museum
- 3 euro / person for each monastery of Meteora
- 8 euro / person for Vergina
- 8 euro / person for Pella
- 8 euro / person for Dion
- Children under 18 years of age are free of charge
- Students from E.U ( ID is required )
- In order to confirm any booking, 30% payment in advance is required, fully refundable in case of any written cancellation received 40 days prior the arrival date.
- For any cancellation OR change between 39 days to 20 days prior the first day of arrival, cancellation fees equal to 50% of the total cost of program applies.
- For any cancellation OR change within 19 days prior the first day of arrival and/or non shows, full cancellation fees applies – the total cost of the program.
- A written notification of any cancellation or change is necessary to be sent to PRIVATE TOURS Greece.